Thursday, July 27, 2017

Rain

Well it finally happened. We got drenched with rain. It is a much needed relief from all of the dust and heat, but it will dry out to quickly and we will be a heat soaked dust bowl again. The show that came with the rain was awe inspiring. The lightning was so bright it would light up a whole room even with the lights on. The thunder shook the house a few times. It even wiped out the power for a good 8 hours during the night. Our lady bug is terrified of the dark and woke up screaming in the middle of the night because she couldn't see. She had lost her flashlight in her bed that is full of books and stuffed animals and couldn't find it anywhere. Luckily we found it within minutes of her waking up. She ended up on the couch with her light and bunny along with her dog. She was well taken care of. I wish I could say she went right to sleep but she didn't every so often you could see her light beam sweep around the walls.

The boys on the other hand can sleep through a monsoon right out their window....

In other farm news the pigs are finally shedding, they will end up losing their hair in time to grow it out for winter. The chickens have started molting. Our egg production has taken a serious beating. Some days I get no eggs at all.

We started an Amish bread starter and that is going well. Don't worry I won't send some to any unsuspecting innocents. I have found if I make it and throw it in the fridge and only take 2 cups each time I want to make bread then I'm not overwhelmed. I still follow the replenishing directions but I just put it in the fridge after about an hour of setting at room temp. We get about 2 loaves each time.

The dogs have been shedding. I think I vacuum at least 4 times a day. Between the dust before it rained and all the hair, lets just say it sometimes looks like the house has been abandoned. 

We have all the materials for the hay barn now. We just need the time to do it. That's an all hands on deck project.

The goats are looking awesome,  all sleek and shiny. They have been out grazing a lot this year. Really enjoying the run and play and eat till the burst moments.

Ok I think your almost all caught up. I need to go make some hungry farm kids some breakfast.

Be blessed.
Dusty Rose Homestead

No comments:

Post a Comment