Friday, March 4, 2016

Sometimes...

When my family decided to live better, I never thought that we would go through so much joy and pain in just the short amount of time we have been doing this.

When we first started down this path I had found some ducks that I just HAD to have. We then were given some roosters and that started us down the path. We ended up with a female pig then got some chickens. We got ANOTHER female pig and then a couple of geese. We started a pen for quail.

Then tragedy struck our dog got out and killed a couple of ducks. It was ok though I still had another set. I was starting to get so excited our chickens were getting ready to start laying again and the female duck would be big enough to start laying.

Once again we couldn't catch a break some dogs came in and took out all of my birds except one goose. Poor Snow lost all of her friends and her mate. I was heart broken.

Snow somehow survived the massacre and is doing well now. We have had a lot of amazing people helping us to resupply our birds and my amazing husband keeps bringing me home baby chickens to try and make my heart heal.

We have started on an outdoor rabbit pen sense we keep getting more and more rabbits. We ended up with one we did not even know was pregnant and she ended up having a very hard labour and delivery. Neither her or her babies made it. My son was so heart broken. Once again we couldn't catch a break. A family friend brought him over a new rabbit and he has fallen in love all over again.

We have started on a goat pen. We have some Nigerian dwarf goats on order and are just about ready. I have one that is pregnant already and I am so excited about this. The only bad thing to go with this good is the buck is having to be put down because he has very bad arthritis.

Every time we get a pen done we find another that needs to be built to make our lives easier. I haven't even started on my seeds yet....

No comments:

Post a Comment