Thursday, February 1, 2018

Our life during winter.

This last winter was very weird.
We had gotten barely any snow and coldness level has been tolerable. I mean really what the heck is up with that?

With this winter being so weird we are able to get things we normally hold off on until the muddy thaw, like digging post holes and running fences. If you're following along on Facebook you will see that we got the garden and orchard fenced off. If you're curious why we did that I have a pig that is a magician. Now you see her, now you don't kind of thing.

We are actually working on the front pasture fence to bring in some cows later this spring.

So, back to one of our days.

My honey works outside the home so he leaves in the dark and is home in the dark until the sun starts its staying out later process. He is up and out the door by 5:30.

I am up by 6:00 and able to take a min or two to work on some Facebook scrolling and blog posts and sip on some much needed coffee. I have enough time to get a load of laundry started and open the blinds. I keep an eye on the yard because we have had an unexpected pest in the yard in the mornings.

The kids all start to trickle out around 7:30. Depending on the school day, depends on if ladybug gets her cartoons or not. Today she does. So with wonder pets playing in the background, we start getting our clothes on to get our morning chores done. The fodder needs to be watered and today's batch needs to be spread into the trays and tomorrow's batch needs to be started, firewood needs to be brought in, animals need to be fed and eggs are collected, frozen water is broken or melted with warm water jugs.
We dish out a scratch here and a pat there.

The kids are all homeschooled so after chores are done, laptops are brought out and signed into so class work can begin. While they are working I will make up some breakfast, today its oatmeal. With 2 teenagers its hard to keep them filled. Switch laundry again.

While they eat I reheat my coffee and start cleaning up the kitchen. Today I have to sweep and vacuum. When I am done with the house chores I have been sewing some things to make the house cozier. Today is ladybug's curtains and some more pillow cases. I have to paint her curtain board and get the hooks hung on it so the curtains have a place to go. Have to start another load of laundry.

While I am sewing dinner plans are made, sounds like its tacos so hamburger is pulled out of the freezer to start defrosting.
It's lunchtime so soup and sandwiches are made up. The boys need to unload and reload the dishwasher after lunch. I have to water the fodder again.

Back to school work for the boys, ladybug is done so she is set at the island with her coloring books and crayons until I am finished with whatever project I am doing.  Then her and I sit down with library books to work on her reading.

The boys are done with school and they now get 2 hours of screen time, tablets or video games. I am ready to start winding down until the evening chores start. I get a cup of tea and start dinner while the kids feed the animals for the night. We start a fire for the night and do one last house clean up before dad gets home for the night. We close up the birds for the night and dad pulls in about 6:00 and we all have dinner together. We watch a show or two, then head to bed for the night at about 8:00.
This is just a normal day for us sometimes we are out and about in town all day or helping some one out with whatever they need from us. Sometimes we have groceries to put away or sometimes the animals will be going off. It all depends on what the day is. If my honey is home there is more outside work then inside. So you now know what we do all day.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment